Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Mommy, I’m hungry!

So, yesterday I forgot to take out something from the freezer to make for dinner. Grrr, I think that happens too often because in the morning I don't think about it because I am trying to get kids, husband and myself out the door. And there is probably a mom out there who never forgets about pulling out something to defrost from the freezer.

Thank goodness I had an amazing day at the office and a pedicure from Naomi (at another spa- I know but sometimes you need to get away from your work). When I got home with the kids screaming they were hungry. The Caveman was also incredibly excited because a tractor was parked in front of our house (picture to come) so getting him calmed down and making sure he wasn't trying to climb the thing took at least 15 minutes. I looked in the freezer and saw a package of pre-formed hamburger patties from the cook out we had with my in-laws. And then I remembered catching the end of a 30-minute meals episode while folding laudry this weekend that featured Salisbury steak. Yay, dinner solved.

I heated the oven to 350 and lined a baking sheet with foil. I placed the hamburgers on the sheet and sprinkled original Mrs. Dash on both sides. After placing them in the oven I chopped the remaining portion of the onion from Sunday's dinner and cooked them in a little bit of butter and olive oil with a bay leaf, and thyme. Once the onion was translucent put two tablespoons of flour and cooked for about three minutes and then slowly added the remaining chicken stock from a carton from the other night (nothing wasted please). Perfect pan gravy! I also cooked a half bag of egg noodles and found some frozen corn (steam in bag kind are my favorite!).

And the kids ate it- the kids ate it is always a good thing. Also I now know that we are completely out of vegetables with the exception of some left over salad mix that I think might be heading to the compost pile. So I am going to have to go grocery shopping just for veggies and fruits- hello Port Warwick farmer's market!

Plus a big event is coming to our household on Saturday- the Caveman and Alien go to the movies!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for making a comment. Please be nice and remember there is a real person writing this blog with real feelings!