Sunday, June 6, 2010

Blueberries and BlackBerries

So yesterday I made homemade blueberry muffins.

Okay first let me explain how much I love blueberry muffins because really good ones are hard to find. They can't be too sweet but just sweet enough. And one warm with creamy butter is really like nirvana. When I get to heaven I want St. Pete there with a welcome basket of homemade blueberry muffins, champagne chicken, the mushroom soup I had at Sonoma Wine Bar in Virginia Beach, and my entire meal from Hominy Grill in Charleston, South Carolina. Calm down folks it s heaven calories will no longer count, I hope.

And these were perfect because I used the Ina Garten recipe for them! Any recipe from her that I have made has been perfection!

And best of all the Alien and Caveman loved the muffins too! They actually love watching me mix things in my KitchenAid Ultra Power Stand Mixer. The Alien will look into the bowl and just say, "ooooooooo!" The Caveman is a little more direct "That is going to be yummy in my tummy!" Oh course baking with toddlers is an experience because you have to make sure tiny fingers don't go after raw dough or worse crowd you so that you actually can't work. But I love that the kids want to bake with mommy.

I also made muffins because I was feeling guilty about the fact that I had to attend a Saturday class for my essay class for school. I left the kids and Big Papi getting ready for the Caveman's swimming lesson while I made the long trek to class.

I got half way to class and realized that I didn't charge my Blackberry and didn't have the car charger. So I had no contact with the outside world, which is a blessing and a curse because it is nice for people not being able to find you but the anxious feeling of not being able to find out at a moment's notice what the children are up to isn't really worth not having a fully charged BlackBerry.

And boy, were the children up to something. According to Big Papi after he brought the kids back from swimming he fell asleep on the couch and when he woke up he found the Alien happily eating one of the blueberry muffins (including paper) on the floor in front of him. He got up and saw that I had left the muffins high on a counter where we thought tiny hands couldn't reach. He also saw that four muffins were missing and a paper wrapper was on the floor. Big Papi asked the Caveman if he helped his sister get the muffins and the Caveman denied the action, but again he had a blueberry smear on his face. Both kids were sent to their rooms until I got home.

I laugh at the story because I wasn't there to get angry. Plus who naps with toddlers on the loose! We're lucky to have a house left because when Big Papi sleeps he is dead to the world. If I were a toddler I would have gotten the permanent markers and drawn on daddy! Again this is easiest for me to think because I am right now in school mode and don't have to clean up the messes as much as he does.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for making a comment. Please be nice and remember there is a real person writing this blog with real feelings!