Sunday, November 2, 2008

AJ's first halloween and we survived




So Halloween with a two year old caveman is very exciting. First the costume selection became dramatic as I picked out the most adorable monkey costume for AJ. He refused to wear it, screaming the whole time- we took it back to Target. It really is a shame because it was so cute and really inexpensive considering I saw a similar costume in a catalogue for $30.00. So I went to Babies R Us and found a sweatsuit that had a skeleton design on it that I knew would work because I was basically tricking the caveman into wearing a costume. Also discovered at Babies R Us the most adorable little kitten outfit for Addison- yes I am a mother that dresses her children to match the various holidays.

Because crazy grandma was going to be out of town for Halloween, Big Papi and I decided to take the children to his mom's neighborhood. This would be better than trying to trick or treat in our neighborhood because it is manly old people who do not participate in trick or treat activities.

So we set out around six in the evening with AJ, Big Papi, and Titi Shannon (Big Papi's sister). I started to worry because sometimes AJ isn't sure about strangers, so the first house I held my breath- but there was candy involved and I underestimated the power the sugary substance has over my child. AJ proudly said "trick or treat" and put his candy in the bag. We made him say thank you. Towards the end of the evening AJ would skip the trick or treat greeting and just reach in the candy bowl and look for the lollipops- I guess those are his favorite.

We stayed out for an hour and AJ got more and more bold with the candy givers and seemed to be having a good time. In fact the only problems with the evening were the bigger kids who wanted to run over my child to get to the candy, seriously where are parents these days, and the stupid grown ups who thought it would be fun to scare a two year old with a chain saw- we stayed away from that house. Seriously why would you do that to kids, just give them the candy without scaring the life out of them.


The best houses were the ones who realized that my caveman is a little guy and didn't try any funny business. I only had to yell at one candy giver outer who dressed in a costume that made him look like a giant, was about to attack AJ by reminding him in real life Big Papi is way bigger than he is and that I am mean mommy! He just laughed at me and then Big Papi got closer and the guy shut up. I wouldn't want to take on a 6'7 big guy either. After all the walking we headed back to grandma's house for pizza- and we let AJ have one well deserved dum dum lollipop.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for making a comment. Please be nice and remember there is a real person writing this blog with real feelings!