Wednesday, November 5, 2008

The Caveman Went Voting Today


I wish I had something profound to say about the election of our new president Barack Obama- but instead my thoughts are towards the many African Americans who stood in line with me to vote today. Thinking about the past, the horrors of slavery, the oppression of Jim Crow, the movement to end segregation has all lead to this moment. We have now made an enormous historically significant choice with our president today and I am really proud to be an American.

The caveman joined me in the election line today this morning in the pitch black of six in the morning and waited in the line for an hour while mommy voted for his president as well. This was the first national election where I not only thought of my own needs as a citizen of the great country but the needs of my children as well. I realize that AJ is only two and will not remember that he stood in line to make history. In fact when people asked him who he was voting for he said "mommy and daddy." But one day my son will understand that voting is important, not just for national office but our local governments as well. The best way I know to ensure that my children understand the important role they play in their government is to lead by example, vote every time and get involved.

I hope that every election will have the turnout of this one, but I doubt it because just like the strong patriotism show after 9-11 slipped away so will voter apathy return. Unless Obama can keep the values of his candidacy, of allowing the smallest voice to speak, then we will return to the environment where the average citizen will believe that they can do nothing. These past 18 months have proven that Yes We Can! We as the people of the US can say we want change, now we have to hold our representatives' feet to the fire.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for making a comment. Please be nice and remember there is a real person writing this blog with real feelings!